Monday, May 18, 2009

Garden

Life began in a garden, they say.

Then, when Adam sinned, God said unto Adam, 'Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return." Genesis 3:17-19 ....God cursed the ground with thorns and thistles... I think of that every time I am in the garden, pulling weeds or grass from choking the plants I like the best that grow in my garden...

Weeding certainly gives one a lot of opportunity to think.

I have officially started work in the garden. I have some raised beds where I grow some food stuff, mostly just the kids of things you go out and eat off the plants... herbs, chives, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes peas, green beans. I have never had success with carrots or zucchini or cucumbers, but I may try some of those as well as some squash this year. I like to grow green beans and flowers the best. (However, I like to grow the beans that that are puple and then they turn green when you cook them.) With some new garden soil to refill the beds, I am ready to get to work.

Last's years garden was fun, but the blueberries we transplanted died. I was also frustrated because everyone keep disconnecting my hoses which were on a timer, so watering didn;t go as well as it could have. I will have to come up with a new system this year.... and I need a mowing system too. the grass between the beds need to get mowed or cut, unless we come up with a better system.

Last year I dug a moat around the place where my little greenhouse used to be and made it into a sort of SUnflower House. (I have done a sunflower house every year for a while.) This one was small. I wish I could perfect the moat though. It makes a great place to grow worms.... so I will have to think more about what to do with it all....

I was thinking of just filling it in with dirt... but I kinda like the castle feel to the sunflower garden.

This year I will also have a whimsical "flower bed." One day last year some people were throwing away a bed frame that looked like a fence. Geo and I brought it home from the kids, but no one took a liking to it in particular... (not into the garden theme I guess.) Anyhow, I have been looking at it thinking I might use it in the garden, since it looks like a fence and all. Today I weeded one part of the flower garden and put the headboard and foot board in the ground so it looks like a bed. I think I will make a sign that says something like, "Shhhhhh... flowers sleeping (or something...) and hang it on the end.

I hope to soon transplant all the little seedlings that I have growing in the kitchen, they are taking over. That will be my project for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment