Saturday, May 9, 2009

It's Shocking... really

Tonight we had a shocking experience. No injuries, but it was a notable event, so I will tell you about it.

There I was minding my own business, sitting at the desk talking to Geo on the phone about life, the universe, and everything, especially his mom, (who is slowly getting better... and is moved now to a rehabilitation center! yeah) Anyhow, as I looked across the hallway, past the washer and dryer to the living room, I saw lightning-like bursts of of light in the living room. Dropping the phone with dh on the line, I sprang from my chair to see what it was.

At first I though it was some weird nuclear fall out from the two waring teens who had been arguing for the last half hour, until I realized that it came from the vicinity of the television. I quickly detected the putrid odor of something electrical burning and Beth holding the DVD player. I now knew that she had something to do with it.

Thankfully she was fine, although more startled than me at the explosions which she said flashed green around her and then directly in her face. She had been getting the DVD player out when suddenly it sparked.

Well, the circuit breaker didn't trip. and the cord on the DVD player was missing a plug. Conclusion: be careful, there's a live wire somewhere.

Nate, who came out to see the commotion, moved the TV stand, I cut the power on the power cord and we removed the plug. Tada... mission accomplished. All Clear.

It was a cord that had been repaired after being chewed upon by the dog at one time and Bethany was pulling on it to see which cord to remove, however, this was a good reminder to be sure to disconnect PLUGS by holding on to the plug. It was also a reminder that repaired cords do have some drawback, one being that it's really easy to pull apart the connected parts.

Electricity is dangerous. Use it with care and caution. After all, it's shocking.... REALLY!

No comments:

Post a Comment