Saturday, August 8, 2009

We like Kevin

Emus are interesting creatures. I seriously laugh whenever I think about how cool Kevin is. The thing that makes me laugh the most is considering that he is a giant bird!

I like birds. Ever since I was little I have liked birds. I used to catch pigeons with old Albert's assistance of course, and make them my pets. Often times the birds had a broken wing or leg or something and I would simply feed them until they were well again and let them go. I have had conures, parakeets, cockatiels, a cockatoo, chickens, ducks, guinea fowl, and finches, and now we have an emu.

I love that he ( or possibly she) looks so much like a "dinosaur." It reminds me of reading about the dodo bird they say has been extinct since the 17th century an other dinosauric looking bird. I think most people would see a skeleton of such a large bird and easily think it ives millions of years ago simply due to the size if nothing else. We are trained that way. I kinda feel like I have a living dinosaur right in my yard, not only that I can pet it.

Each day we go out, at least one of us and pet the bird who basically turns to mush as we pet it. Kevin is really cute, but still offish in many ways. If we ever find the original owners it would be hard to part with him because we kinda like him being around.

The weather though has gotten cooler and I wonder what to do with an emu in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment