Wednesday, October 14, 2009

How do you start a fire?

I was folding laundry a moment ago, one of my favorite tablecloths and I remebered something that I think is worth a blog.

One day, one summer day, I was having a patio lunch of sandwiches with friends Nancy and Steven on my new deck and we were using this particular tablecloth. We were talking, having a laugh or two after eating, George was meandering around the yard doing some things when he made himself conspecously noticed and said, "Who of you over there is smoking?"

We laughed some more.

None of us were even smokers. We had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.

He said, "I saw some smoke and I was just wondering what it was."

It was kinda funny, until I looked down and realized the table was on fire. Right there, smack dab in the middle of the table! The tablecloth was on fire!"

Needless to say I put it out. It did leave a hole in my favorite tablecloth, a hole which is there until this day. But As I told you not of us were smoking. It was Steve and me and Nancy at the table, nothing but a plastic piture of water and the plates leftover from our food.

Upon further investigation we discovered that what must have happened was a magnification effect of the sunlight streaming through the piture of water, causing a point of light much like a magnifying lens would do. It was amazing to consider. I was glad I was there and had not left the pitcher sitting on the table and walked away.

Imagine if we had not known the table was on fire, or being the insurance agent that has to file a claim like that. We have a riddle of the sphynx kind now, it goes like this:

"How do you start a fire with water?"

You know the answer now.

1 comment: