Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Forget- Me-Nots


I took this photo by the river the other day when on a hike with the kids.  I have always loved this kind of little dainty flower and was surprised to find them at my feet when I was resting in my chair.  I remember sitting there thinking..."Those sure are pretty."


I also remembered how I like to draw them on paper when I doodle, pick them whenever I find them... and then put them in a vase. I like to give them as gifts to friends in the form of seed packets when I have moved away....cuz it's just a special way to let them know you love them.


In the language of flowers, Victorian style anyway, the forget-me-not flower has always represented "true love."  Legend has it, says wikipedia, that " in medieval times, a knight and his lady were walking along the side of a river. He picked a posy of flowers, but because of the weight of his armour he fell into the river. As he was drowning he threw the posy to his loved one and shouted "Forget-me-not". This is a flower connected with romance and tragic fate. It was often worn by ladies as a sign of faithfulness and enduring love."

While thinking on this flower today and all the events of recent days, I pondered, enduring love.. God's love is you know, this kind of thing.  I said to myself, (essentially) "If God's love is true and right and good, and if he loves us;  if God is humble, lowly, kind and merciful, gentle and if he is meek, how appropriate it is that he should place this tiny baby-blue flower at our feet, to say, "Forget Me Not?"  How Sweet!

Yes... I told myself...
Forget Not God who made you, who's wisdom fashioned all the world and gave it life.
Forget Not the God who bring both sunshine and the rain, who brings forth flowers from the earth...give us animals like dogs and cats and emus... birds and beasts and creeping things with wings....

Forget Not God when you feel as if you haven't got a friend, God is forever by your side and nothing.. neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


Forget Not God when you feel overwhelmed with sin, remember how he washed the disciples feet.
Forget Not all his benefits....as you read through Psalm 103...

Remember...his covenant... his promises, his name...
Remember the height from which you have fallen, the height from which you have fallen! Repent... and praise his name.... Remember... all the things that He has done, and the ancient paths he has given you to walk in. 


Yes, remember God when you rise up in the morning, and on your bed in the watches of the night...
Remember his deeds and miracles, his judgments, full of mercy and compassion, trust and know that God ....
He is always right.
and remember, 2 Timothy 2:8...
(Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David.) God in human form, dying and raising from the dead, when you see the little baby blue, Forget-Me-Nots (true Love) by the river at your feet.




Life is eventful, there is no doubt.  My life has been eventful as of late.


Speaking of events, I found out today that the lady I was in an accident with on Monday, had a second accident the same day!  This one was not her responsibility.  She was hit by a drunken driver... and he was carted off to jail.  Thankfully, I can report that no one was hurt in this second accident either.  I imagine though that she is pretty shooken up, twice thankful to escape a collision unscathed.

And "they say, " Lightning never strikes twice!  Well, it might, if you are having a four season day!

Amazing... I was astonished.  I wondered too if our encounter prepared her for what lay ahead that day.

But, what is really amazing is God's love and his hand upon us... or it is really that we are in his mighty hhands?  We can know, yes and we must remember that he promises to see us through trials and tribulations of this life, come what may.... in more ways than we can understand. Sometimes without us even knowing it.

God is Love,
True Love....
"true blue" " royal" blue perhaps.'  His love, we sing at church, "reaches to the heavens..." " his faithfulness.... stretches to the sky...."  and when I think of the color of the forget me not.. it sure looks like sky....and in the middle is the sun.

It's a tiny reminder, God my savior planned to put right down where I could see it, at my feet.  A reminder to look up and know he is God.   This little flower is His work of art that says for generations, "Remember," yes.... Forget -Me- Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment